[mythtv-users] WinTV-D and PVR-350 together?

Alex Marinkovic alexmarinkovic at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 11:43:18 EST 2003

Hello,

I am considering building my first mythtv box, and am
interested in finding out about any potential problems
that I might encounter if I attempt to have 2 tuner
cards:  1 WinTV-D card for HD channels, and 1 PVR-350
for the PVR functionality.

At first, I was just going to get a PVR-350 to use
with my dish network setup, but as I was shopping
around for one, I found the WinTV-D, and thought it
would be nice to have some high-def channels as well.
I don't have a HDTV monitor; I would be connecting
them both to a 32" Sony Wega via S-video.

Ideally, I want to be able to use the PVR functions
for the dish channels, as well as the HD channels.
Does anyone know if this is even possible?

Also, I am a little concerned about the picture
quality using either of these cards.  I use S-video
connections from the dish receiver to the TV, and the
picture is substantially better than coax (obviously),
but am afraid that I may lose some picture quality
going through these cards, even if I use S-video to
connect them all.  Is there a noticable loss in
picture quality using these cards?  I would appreciate
any suggestions that would minimize the picture
quality as much as possible.

BTW, I have an nvidia geForce2 64MB video card with
S-video tv out currently.  That's another
thing...(sorry).  Would I end up using the tv out of
my video card?  or the out's of the capture cards?

Thanks in advance,
Alex