[mythtv-users] PVR250 Remote control (the black one) question

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 15 15:19:43 EST 2003

On Monday 15 December 2003 15:03, Randy Beiter wrote:
> I have the Hauppauge PVR-250 with remote set up and working, but with
> a snag.  I have a Phillips/Magnavox TV which uses the same codes as
> the PVR-250's remote.  Am I stuck with buying an IR dongle to use
> a different remote?  I initially had the idea of simply using a
> different remote and teaching lirc the new codes, but I've heard with
> integrated IR recievers, one has to stick with the remote it comes
> with?

I had the same problem, and I just ended up getting an IRman.  However,
if you can find a non-Philips remote that uses RC-5 protocol (or a
non-Philips code on a universal remote that uses RC-5), you may be able
to have them co-exist without crossing.  You may also be able to use a
JP-1 programmable remote.  However, a new universal remote (if you need
one) will cost at least $10-$20,  and a JP-1 cable will cost at least
$15 (possibly more, depending on whether you're building it yourself,
plus the cost of a JP-1 remote if yours isn't already).  In my case, I
just decided to bite off the $30 for the IRman, as it will stand me in
good stead in the future should I decide to separate the frontend/
backend and put the box with my tuner cards in the basement; plus, I
now have the flexibility of using any remote I want.

-JAC