[mythtv-users] Has anyone used the Nebula Electronics Digitv card ?

Clyde Stubbs clyde at htsoft.com
Mon Dec 15 21:37:43 EST 2003

Yes, I'm using this card. My setup is basically:

* RH 9 with a 2.4.22 kernel built from source
* The instructions at http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-dvb@linuxtv.org/msg10969.html
  are basically correct, but with a 2.4 kernel you will need different patches
  from bytesex.org
* Bttv 9.11 (I think) with the patches from the above-mentioned howto.
* A recent dvb-kernel from CVS (linuxtv.org)
* Also the DVB from CVS (also from linuxtv.org) which has needed utilities
* A recent MythTv from CVS

There are several gotchas to watch out for:

1) When modprobe'ing the bttv module, you need a option "gpint=0" or you
will see system CPU rise to ridiculous levels.
2) Setting up the channel database in Myth has to be done by hand. I can't
remember all the steps, but am happy to share a mysqldump if you like (I'm
in Brisbane, Australia, so it won't help you directly).
3) I still have problems with the backend crashing, and/or the frontend
freezing. It seems to happen when the DVB stream is damaged (e.g. due to
a nearby thunderstorm) and the backend does not recover gracefully. This
seems to affect live tv only, not recordings (but that may not be a reliable
observation).
4) The remote control with the Nebula card looks great - but there is
no driver support. I'm working on adding this to the DVB driver at present.

Other than the above issues, it works well. Picture quality is excellent,
whereas my analog reception is crap. Channel changing is quite fast.
Recording works fine.

Have fun.

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 12:08:43PM -0500, Tony Case wrote:
> Hi all
> 	I had a quick look through the archive but didn't see anything on this
> subject, so has anyone used the Nebula Electronics Digitv PCI card with Myth.
> It is a terestrial digital TV receiver card if you haven't come across it.  I
> was considering building a system with a mini ITX VIA MB, the Digitv card and
> Myth and was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice on the subject.
> 	Many thanks, TC

Clyde Stubbs                     |            HI-TECH Software
Email: clyde at htsoft.com          |          Phone            Fax
WWW:   http://www.htsoft.com/    | USA: (408) 490 2885  (408) 490 2885
PGP:   finger clyde at htsoft.com   | AUS: +61 7 3552 7777 +61 7 3552 7778