[mythtv-users] Personal Choices

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Dec 16 02:22:29 EST 2003

On Dec 15, 2003, at 06:33, Preston Crow wrote:

> The specs on the 350 clearly indicate limits to the MPEGs it will
> handle, and those limits are well below an ATSC signal.

That's what I'd figured.

> (Do the cards have anything better than SVideo out anyway?

No.

> You can't get HDTV resolutions with SVideo.)

Very true, that's one of the points I was attempting to make also.

>> Perhaps one of the ATI/NVidia boards can do this? Anyone have
> experience here?
>>
>> Hardware MPEG2 decoding w/high res output? Preferably YPbPr at
> 480p/720p/1080i standard?
>
> The GeForce4 MX440 is supposed to be able to do full hardware MPEG-2
> decoding, but the Linux drivers only support the motion compensation,
> not the full MPEG, so it's still CPU-intensive.  Or at least that's my
> summary of a bunch of stuff I've read here.

You're correct.

> Even with full hardware MPEG decoding in the video card, you would have
> to use the CPU to do the audio.  My guess is that in theory, you could
> build an EPIA-based system and it would have enough power to do that,
> but not without the non-existant drivers.

If you're using a digital output, just pass raw AC3 to your amp, and
the amp will handle the decoding.

> Please correct me if I'm wrong; most of this information is at best
> second hand.
>
> My guess is that we'll see an EPIA motherboard in about a year's time
> that has on-board HDTV video.  (Just a guess based on my perceptions of
> the demand for the product and the technical feasibility.)

Or how about next week? :)

Can't say much on the topic, but my company is getting in a few VIA
733MHz-based systems with dual QAM HDTV tuners (yes, this is designed
for HDTV carried over cable tv), onboard HDTV decoder, DVI, component
video and digital audio output. No, I'm not kidding. Oh, and the system
runs a heavily modified Red Hat Linux 7.3 and 2.4.20-based kernel.
They're pre-production development units for a project we're working
on. I'm quite anxiously awaiting their arrival...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/