[mythtv-users] Sigma Designs X-Card

Dale Weber linuxgeek at thedynaplex.net
Tue Dec 16 15:33:42 EST 2003

On Tuesday 16 December 2003 11:35 am, Michael Janer wrote:
> > This is good to know, but I am not sure I would really want to try
> > encoding AND decoding at the same time on one card. This would require a
> > LOT of hardware horsepower, and I am not sure the resulting quality would
> > be acceptable for either function when done simultaneously.
>
> You don't seem to understand.  There is no issue of alot of horsepower.
> This card was designed specifically to handle this type of task, and
> without breaking a sweat.  There's a big difference between having a
> software encoder working the cpu even harder while it's trying to decode at
> the same time, and this card.  Whether or not you are just encoding, or
> decoding, or both, the card works the same.

	I understand the difference between having decoders in software versus
hardware.  :)  Drivers do play an important part in how well hardware works
with an OS though.  There are many instances where bad drivers have really
made otherwise great hardware unusable, but I realize this does NOT apply in
the Linux world where many more people are working to constantly improve
things.  This is why I have chosen to become more active in the Open Source
community. :D

	I realize I do not know as much about this video stuff right now, but I learn
very quickly from those who do. :)  There are so many things I want to learn
about, and I want to learn it all now.  :D

> >  This would put less stress on idividual hardware and their drivers.
> > Separate drivers for each function can be more heavily tweaked without
> > having to worry about compromising functionality.
>
> Don't make assumtions about things like this.  In the compter world, things
> either work or they don't.  They do what they are assigned to do and thats
> it.  The only way you put more stress on something is if you use it more.

	I wasn't meaning to make an assumption. Yes, computers are binary gadgets,
afterall. :)

> You do more harm to your card every time you power your computer on, than
> you do using it.

	Very true.  This is why my two PCs normally run 24/7.  I usually have them
doing something, even when I sleep (best times to encode and build large
software packages).

> The 350 encodes 720X480 in crystal clear quality, and just
> as well as the PVR 250.  Might I add that these two cards are touted as the
> best in the industry right now, with the exception to HD cards and ones
> above the $1000 mark.

	I am always happy to hear great news about the Hauppauge PVR cards. :) I have
an older model 880 WinTV/PVR (the original).  It is not apparently well
supported though, and is supported badly at best under other operating
systems (unstable, due to drivers not being fixed).

> My point is, your Xcard will not work with MythTv, and the PVR 350 gives
> you two cards in one.  There is no difference in quality between it and the
> 250, and you get a supported decoder which works very well.

	Yes, I know the X-Card won't work with Linux/Myth right now.  I sure wish it
did though, since it can drive an HTDV set directly, but I don't know how
much of that is actually done in the hardware.

	I definitely have a WinTV PVR/350 on my list of new hardware to get. :)  I
was unsure if it was a good choice though, due to my experiences with my
older model 880 and Hauppauge's apparent discontinued support for it.

	8-Dale
--
The Dynaplex Network - http://www.thedynaplex.org
We support Open Source 100% with Linux and FreeBSD!