[mythtv-users] prebuffering pauses and mythtv 0.13

Thomas Fjellstrom tfjellstrom at strangesoft.net
Tue Dec 16 20:15:15 EST 2003

On December 16, 2003 04:42 am, ray cielencki wrote:
> At 05:03 12/16/2003, you wrote:
> >Just got around to trying mythtv 0.13, and for a while it looked to be
> > great, no problems, but after about 10-20 minutes of watching live TV, I
> > start getting prebuffering pauses that don't go away after they start..
> > They also cause the audio and video to get choppy.
> >
> >using a WinTV-401 in my AthlonXP 2400+ w/512MB ram backend (kernel
> >2.6.0-test11), and mythfrontend on my EPIA-M 10000N. (kernel epia1-pre9)
> >
> >I just tried starting mythfrontend again to fiddle with the sound device
> > that it uses for output, but all I got this time was a black screen.
> > heres the log for the front end:
> >
> >sherman tmp # mythfrontend
> >2003-12-16 02:53:50 Enabled verbose msgs : important general
> >connecting to backend server: 192.168.1.18:6543
> >
> >I've started mythfrontend again to see if it'll eventualy connect, but
> >mythfrontend is not reponding to the keyboard....
>
> this is a case of not being able to connect to the backend socket.
> restarting the backend should fix it. if you continue to have these
> problems try debugging: http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-20.html#ss20.9

Well, I tried changing alsa as was suggested by someone else, and it helps
with the audio and video problems that coincide with the prebuffering pauses.

Watched an hour or so of tv with no major problems, till I decided to change
some of the recording settings, when I tried to go back to live tv mode, it
hung again... then I went back to my back end machine, and it looks like
mythbackend crashed and took kwin with it. not sure _how_ exactly, maybe a
memory issue and init decided to kill both kwin and mythbackend? I'll know
after I try debugging...

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom at strangesoft.net