[mythtv-users] Sigma Designs X-Card

Dale Weber linuxgeek at thedynaplex.net
Tue Dec 16 20:39:40 EST 2003

On Tuesday 16 December 2003 04:48 pm, Joel Anderson wrote:

> Of course this is all fine and dandy for Windoze, but I found it quite
> interesting that although the X-card FAQ states that there is no plan to
> support the Linux OS, but there _is_ a Linux SDK available for PVR
> development using the same decoder chip (EM8475) - complete with device
> driver.  Of course there is some cost and NDA to deal with there too.
> There was also some mention of this on the slashdot link that someone else
> posted earlier.
>
> Hope someone besides me thinks this is interesting.  If not please ignore!
> ;)

	Since I happen to own an X-Card, it does interest me. :D  When will these
companies realize they can sell MANY more units if they just make their SDKs
and driver code examples available freely??

	I remember when Matrox and nVidia wouldn't even talk to anyone who said
"Linux" in any sentence..  Maybe Sigma Designs and others will wake up
someday also. :)  NDAs are so, ummmm, silly, for drivers and such, but I do
see why companies feel the need to protect their chipset data.  Personally, I
think they ALL need to lighten up and learn to play well with Open
Source. :D:D

	There is such way cool hardware, like the X-Card, available, but so much of
it is still closed to Open Source. :(

	8-Dale
--
The Dynaplex Network - http://www.thedynaplex.org
We support Open Source 100% with Linux and FreeBSD!