[mythtv-users] alsa works with mplayer, but now with mythtv

Peter Lee petel at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 16 22:31:18 EST 2003

[Sorry about the change in subject line.  I goofed on my previous reply and
am trying to fix it now.]

On Dec 16, 2003, a 00:07:10, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2003, at 04:52, Peter Lee wrote:
>
>> Hmm...I don't recall a frontend option like that, but I'll check that
>> this
>> evening when I get home.  And yes, I did enable the spdif output, using
>> gnome-alsamixer.  The thing is, I am failing to get output from either
>> the
>> headphone line-out or the spdif-out on the soundblaster (except when I
>> use
>> mplayer)...
>
> Is your audio output device in mythfrontend set correctly? (i.e., to
> /dev/dsp or whatever dsp is associated with that card?). If you still
> have the config for the first card in your system, the second card is
> probably using /dev/dsp1 (/dev/dsp links to /dev/dsp0, I believe),
> which you need to tell MythTV to use as its audio out device.

I just checked:  I have /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1.  I don't have a /dev/dsp0.
In mythfrontend setup, the audio is set to /dev/dsp.  Just for kicks, I
tried switching it to /dev/dsp1.  Still no sound out of the SBLive.
HOWEVER: After this little experiment, I went back into mythfrontend setup
to switch the audio back to /dev/dsp.  But when I did this, I saw that it
was already set to /dev/dsp.  In other words, my attempt to change to
/dev/dsp1 didn't "stick"!

I wonder if this is a clue?...

I am really really happy with everything other than this.  I have been
contemplating upgrading to 0.13, but somehow it seems wrong to do the
upgrade without first understanding what is going wrong here.