[mythtv-users] pcHDTV - 2 questions

Brandon Beattie bbeattie-maillist at linkexplorer.com
Wed Dec 17 13:31:04 EST 2003

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 10:04:28AM -0800, Ian Forde wrote:

> > > You need to list the largest mode first.
> >
> > Yeah, that's what I figured. I'll give it a shot probably this weekend.
>
> Yep - me too.  I'd really like to see if I can get the most out of my
> HDTV... 960x540 is nice, 1920x540 is overkill for watching regular TV
> and DVDs, but it would be pretty sweet anyway!  And it would pave the
> way for me gettting a HDTV card... ;)
>
> > > The code to do so is in 0.13 -- that's what's causing problems with
> > > Xinerama currently.
> >
> > No Xinerama here, so no problemo.
>
> Me either...  consider me another data point...
>
> > > The new kerneldeint filter is too CPU-intensive for HDTV.  What would
> > > be ideal for this use would be a 'bob' deinterlace filter -- simply
> > > double each line in both fields.  This is also on my long list, but
> > > I've never dealt with YUV data before so it would involve a lot of
> > > learning for me.
> >
> > You're miles ahead of me on that front already. :)
>
> Yeah... what't the deal with filters anyway?  I don't know what any of
> them are or when I'd use one...

As for DVD playback, Mplayer has the best quality I have seen.  I define
quality by motion smoothness, scaling quality, and image quality
improvements.  If you're curious what can be done, the following is my
mplayer command in mythtv for viewing DVD's,

mplayer -zoom -fs -mc .0001 -autosync 60 -vop pp=0x20000 -ao oss -ac
hwac3 -vop denoise3d 6:3:6 -sws 4 -dr -quiet

I built this command from the mplayer quality howto on freshmeat.  Even
on non-overlay displays motion is very, very good.  A combination of the
autosync and mc of .0001 are quite amazing for stopping almost all video
stuttering.  Motion is now comparable between my $400 fourdja DI DVD
player and mplayer.  Xine comes nowhere close for motion, and mplayer
doesn't until you use these args.  ..  It takes about a 2Ghz system to
run mplayer on a dvd with these options though.  Just get rid of the -ao
oss and -ac hwac3 if you're not using SPDIF passthrough.  This command
also works well for upscaling video clips.

(I still use Xine though for watching non transcoded DVD's because it
has a working menu system).

--Brandon