[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. SageTV vs. Etc....

Douglas Phillipson dougp at intermind.net
Thu Dec 18 12:58:29 EST 2003

Sean wrote:
> Now, before we get started, let me say that I am a true believer in
> MythTV and its bright future. I also now understand fully what a
> convergence appliance can mean and expect this industry to grow quickly
> in the coming years.
> I really want this to be a fair discussion about where MythTV stands in
> the PVR market. What has spurned this debate in my own mind is the
> discovery/re-discovery of a program called SageTV:
>
> http://www.freytechnologies.com/
>
> Now, from a first glance, SageTV looks like the closest real competition
> to MythTV’s PVR functionality. It can timeshift television, schedule
> programming from a non-subscription based service through available
> internet connection, and most surprisingly to me, handle multiple tuner
> cards. It can also act as a server/client to stream programming
> thoughout a LAN. Like MythTV, it seems to have a very active development
> cycle and user/fan base.
>
> It does not, however, support some of Myth’s peripheral features. I can
> find no mention of transcoding, DVD ripping or modules like weather,
> news, or game emulation. It does look like the conflict resolution is
> quite good and they claim the box can actually predict programming that
> you might want to watch based on viewing habits, like TIVO.
>
> The most interesting thing to a nOOb like myself is that is runs on
> Win2k/XP. For me, and likely many others, this is attractive in that we
> don’t have to learn a new OS. Personally, I enjoyed the thrill of
> setting up my MythBox in that I learn something new everytime. I feel
> more comfortable with Linux in general now, but still realize that I am
> missing some basic level knowledge that would make me less dependent on
> the various guides and community support. In other words, whenever
> something “breaks” I feel a little helpless and frustrated. It is only a
> guess, but I feel much more confident fixing something in Windows and
> would therefore feel less likely to bash my little computer into junk
> less quickly should, say, my system crashed in the middle of a high-load
> operation (transcoding, 3 weeks ago).
>
> So, how do we feel about how Myth stands up against the competition?
> Linux is undeniably more stable in general, but support for the hardware
> is behind that of the Wintel world. Truth be told, my general wish for
> my PVR as it stands is an easy way to archive my shows to DVD-Video.
> Right now, it isn’t easy for me and if Sage or anyone else can give me
> the PVR functionality of Myth, with an easy archival tool (and yes, I
> know several on the list have talked about development of such a system)
> I will take a hard look at it.
>
> -Sean

I see no issue here.  I want to run EVERYTHING on Linux.  I just don't
care what Windows can do anymore so there is no comparison of features
that will sway me.  We have a guy in our LUG that prescribes to the
notion of "Using the best tool for the job".  As a Linux advocate I will
try a Linux solution first and use it even if it isn't quite as refined
as a Windows solution.  MythTV rocks!

Regards

Doug P