[mythtv-users] Live TV ("Waited 2 seconds...") freeze does notoccur when using mpeg4

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 19 11:22:10 EST 2003

> > Try this (suggested by someone else):  Start live
TV,
> > pause for as close as you can to exactly 30
seconds.
> > Come back in a few hours.  Does the frontend no
longer
> > freeze?  Is it still 30 seconds behind?  Someone
> > suggested that their system never froze when
watching
> > a bit behind in the ringbuffer.
>
> I didn't believe this could possibly be true, but I
did
> it last night and it went all night and all day
today on
> Live TV, 30 seconds behind, without any problem.
> Previously, it would get hung with the "waited 2
seconds.."
> issue within 2-3 hours at most.
>
> I would think that this would indicate that the
problem is
> at least partially within MythTV and not just a
driver or
> other externel issue.  Are there any buffering
adjustments
> we can make that may help those of us with this
problem?

After the all-night success, was it still 30 seconds
behind?

I agree that the frontend should recover from whatever

underlying problem is causing this.  There has been
some
mention in other threads (the "rebuffering" threads)
that
indicate that some broken pipes and other
backend-frontend
communication problems are not yet handled ideally,
but
are being worked on in the current CVS.