[mythtv-users] Question: Lirc options

Stuart Felenstein stuart4m at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 19 12:23:42 EST 2003

Soldering is cool, lately though it's been drilling.

I think what I've decided on is trying to use the Hauppauge remote that came with my 350.  Lirc installation went well for the IR blaster (Actisys), haven't tried to use it yet.  I read somewhere , that having the transmitter and remote can be a problem with lirc ? or is that not the case?

Stuart

Tony Maro <tony at maro.net> wrote:
Stuart Felenstein wrote:

>I came across this site with the "unofficia" Mythtv FAQ. http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-view_faq.php?faqId=2
>
>I came across this item:
>"Q: Do I really need LIRC to use an IR remote?
>A: No. Get an IR wireless keyboard and train a universal learning remote on that. [ Dennis Lou ] "
>
>Reading through the Myth documentation (mythtv.org) I haven't found this mentioned. Perhaps I just missed something. Can anyone clarify?

What he's suggesting is you buy:

#1) An IR wireless keyboard (not an RF one.)

#2) An expensive universal "LEARNING" remote (typical universals won't
do it.)

Which to me seems a huge waste of money for something you can do with
$12 (counting the remote and parts for the receiver.)

But, I'm project-oriented, so digging out a soldering iron to build the
receiver was fun to me.

If you opt for the learning remote, you then spend an hour sitting with
your wireless keyboard pointed at the remote, while teaching the remote
what IR signals the keyboard generates so that it can mimic them. It's
not a lot of fun, I've done it before. But it might be easier than
soldering... and there's no lirc setup which can be confusing.

-Tony