[mythtv-users] Problem with input changing on a Gateway card

Bret Wade bretwade at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 19 15:12:14 EST 2003

Hi, I'm new to the group. I'll start by saying thanks to everyone who's
contributed to this project. I've been building my first system over the
last two weeks using .12 on an Asus Pundit with RH9 and the Gateway OEM
of the PVR-250 using Jarod's very nice guide. My video source is a Sony
A-4 DirecTV receiver and I am successfully changing channels via serial
cable using the sony_dss.pl script at http://tarek.2y.net/myth/. I've
made some newbie mistakes but have been able to get around them all
using the docs and this list, but I've seen a strange problem that seems
to be unique to my setup. By trial and error, I've found that I can
watch live TV from Tuner0 by setting the following values for inputs:

/usr/lib/ivtv/test_ioctl -p 5
/usr/lib/ivtv/test_ioctl -v input=1,output=1

I haven't seen any mention of anyone else using these values, so I
assume it's either a peculiarity of the Gateway card or something about
my setup. The problem is that when I try to record a program, the input
parameter gets reset to 4 and and I record static. I'm able to work
around this by setting the input back to 5 in my channel change script,
but I'm concerned that this issue might indicate that I've got something
configured wrong. Can anyone explain why the input is getting reset and
where the default value of 4 is coming from?

Some more information is that when I run the /bin/dmesg command, I see
"Found an unknown chip, treating it like an iTVC15" instead of the
expected, "Found an iTVC16 based chip". I have /etc/modules.conf set
according to Jarod's guide but I've also tried "options tuner type=8"
which I found mentioned by another Gateway card user. The behavior
didn't change except that the default became  1 instead of 4.

Thanks,
Bret Wade

Capture card definition:
Video device: /dev/video0
VBI device: /dev/vbi
Audio device: /dev/dsp
Audio sampling rate limit: 48000
Default input: Tuner0

Input connection:
[MPEG:/dev/video0](Tuner 0) -> Satellite
Video source: Satellite
External channel changing command: /usr/local/bin/change.csh
Preset tuner to channel: 3
Starting channel: 4