[mythtv-users] Fedora or RH9.0 for a new Myth installation ?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Dec 19 20:00:52 EST 2003

On Friday 19 December 2003 14:29, pvrman at xemaps.com wrote:
> I am going to build a MythTV machine for the first time and was wondering
> if I should go ahead with the new Fedora core or stick to the tried and
> true RedHat 9.0. I would appreciate your suggestions in this regard.

Fedora Core.

> In a nutshell, I want to stick with RH9.0 unless there is any distinct
> advantage in going with Fedora (for MythTV usage). If you think one has an
> advantage over the other, I would like to know what it is.

There are numerous improvements in the Fedora Core kernels, including many
back-ports from the 2.6 series that will give you an overall more responsive
system when it comes to things like MythTV.

> 4. Now the question is, whether I should follow Jarod's new Fedora based
> instructions at http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/ or the old RH9.0 based
> instructions at http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=rh9pvr250.
> The key factor in choosing one over the other seems to be whether I want to
> go with Fedora or RH9.0. I would really like to stick with RH9.0, just
> because it has been around for longer and several people have had great
> success using Jarod's old guide under RH9.0 ... so it is tried and true and
> well debugged at this point. However, I would first like to know from this
> group if there are any compelling reasons to use Fedora instead of RH9.0
> (from MythTV usage point of view only). Does Fedora provide any unique
> feature over RH9.0 that is critical to a good MythTV experience ?

I think the biggest part is the kernel changes. I've had a rock-solid system
under both Red Hat Linux 9 and Fedora Core 1 now, and a fast enough system
that performance hasn't ever been an issue, but things do feel snappier under
FC (though I simultaneously upgraded to MythTV 0.13, which is likely a
factor). Personally, I'd go FC (oh, wait, I already did :).

> 5. Here is the hardware I have decided to go with, in case this helps you
> in recommending Fedora over RH9.0 or vice versa.
>
> - Chaintech 7NIF2 nForce2 based mobo with Athlon XP 2000+ CPU
> - 512MB PC2100 Crucial RAM
> - Hauppauge 350 (TV card 1)
> - Hauppauge 250MCE (TV card 2)
> - 80GB HDD
> - Onboard GeForce4 MX video of 7NIF2 (I can use a separate GeForce3 Ti200
> or a GeForce4 Ti4200 card if necessary)

Of the three video options there, the onboard GF4 MX is by far the best one to
go with. Neither the 4 Ti or the 3 series support some of the XvMC stuff the
4 MX does. And a 4 MX is way more than enough beef to handle your video
needs. Though if you have a PVR-350, are you just going to use the 350's
TV-Out? If you aren't hooking to an HDTV, it seems that might actually be the
best route...

- --
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...