[mythtv-users] Building myth box

David Mallwitz dave at dmallwitz.net
Sun Dec 21 22:00:35 EST 2003

On Sunday 21 December 2003 12:15 pm, Carlos Fernandez Sanz wrote:

> worried with noise. I want my box to be a silent as it can be. I was
> thinking about getting a VIA CPU, which apparently don't need even a
> fan. My sources are mostly DVB, so since they come directly in MPEG2
> I don't even need compression power for most of them. Anyway, I'm
> getting a PVR-350 for Xmas for analog TV and TV out. So the only time
> I'll really need some CPU power is for MPEG4 playback.
>
> Any thoughts?

Sure. Remember that some VIA MBs do have a fan, so make sure you have
the right part number before you order. I recomend the M6000, not the
fastest processor, but dead silent. When choosing a case, be careful
not to go with the really small ones (ex. Cubid 2699) as they may have
trouble with the heat generated by modern 7200 rpm HD and the PVR350.
Full size memory sometimes won't fit in the smaller cases, also. But be
careful of the larger ones (ex. Sereniti2000) as they may use a
peculiar (and noisy) type of power supply. Your best bet for a quiet
system is always going to be an external power supply
(http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=9#p67). If price really is
no object, then you might want to check out the Hoojum Cubit 3 case in
full chrome, the coolest looking case I've ever seen. I'd also avoid
using slimline cd/dvd drives if possible as they don't have the
mechanized ejection function that the full size drives do.

Happy Holidays,
Dave