[mythtv-users] Re: Jarod's Fedora install - driver & web questions

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Dec 22 04:21:11 EST 2003

On Dec 20, 2003, at 02:18, Ian Forde wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 01:16, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
>> And/or use the spec file from the src.rpm with your own tarball
>> (possibly of a newer version, a patched version, etc.), edit the spec
>> file (pretty much all your build options go in there) to your liking
>> and have fully customized version in rpm form after building as Ian
>> said. :)
>
> Heh.  It gets better.  If you replace the tarball with a newer version
> that fix the vulnerabilities covered by the RedHat patches, make sure
> that you remove the RedHat patches in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD before
> running the rpmbuild command.  That's how you can get things like
> Apache
> 2.0.48 to install on RH9, for example...

What he said. Yeah, I forgot to mention that Red Hat patches the living
heck out of things with all sorts of back-ports (and no, that isn't a
bad thing, they give you stability *and* the latest security
patches)...

>> I have to go get re-certified before too long here... I got mine back
>> when 7.3 was current... Good thing I've got some machines running
>> RHEL3
>> to play with...
>
> Trying not to think about that.  I got mine when 7.1 was current.  I'm
> not looking forward to shelling out $750 for that exam again... ;)

Sheesh, was it that much?!? I did the full week-long deal that was like
$2500, but I thought the exam was only like $300 of it. :-\

> 	-I
>
> P.S. - On the other hand, I must admit that the exam was fun!

Very true. :)

(I felt bad for the people who already knew they couldn't pass after
section 1... ;)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...