[mythtv-users] WinTV 250 Not Detected

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Dec 22 04:28:55 EST 2003

On Dec 20, 2003, at 16:12, Gary Huntress wrote:

>     This is only indirectly a MythTV problem, but I know there are a
> lot of
> WinTV people here.   Perhaps you can help me.

We can try, though a more appropriate place to ask might be the ivtv
list.

>     I have a WinTV 250 card and a generic RH9 installation (currently
> running a 2.4.23 v4l2 enabled kernel).  My problem is not driver (ivtv)
> related either....the problem is that my card seems to not be detected
> at
> all by my system.

Not good.

>     I do not see it listed when I do "lspci -v".  I think it would
> show up
> as "multimedia", I'm not specifically looking for Hauppage.

Mine shows up like so:

01:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc: Unknown
device 0016 (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.: Unknown device 4009
	Memory at dc000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]

> All my other
> hardware is detected fine.   I've changed PCI slots, and I've verified
> that
> the card is detected in a Windows XP system.  I've also recompiled my
> kernel
> and changed  "PCI Access Mode" from "any" to "direct" (recommended by a
> friend).

Is there an option for enabling or disabling bus mastering (just a shot
in the dark, but bus mastering must be enabled)? And what distro? A
kernel recompile should be necessary...

>     Does this sound like a BIOS issue?

Magic 8-ball says: Answer unclear, google it. Or try putting Windows on
that machine and see what you get.

> It's a cheap but not too ancient
> GHz PIII box.   If so, is it even possible to flash the bios from
> linux?
> (assuming there IS an update)

Typically, no. The historical method is to use a DOS boot floppy, while
some mfg's have those little Windows-based apps to do it now.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/