[mythtv-users] Understanding the Myth Box before I buy parts

Malcolm mythtv at lds.dyndns.org
Mon Dec 22 12:28:11 EST 2003

Hi List,

I've been browsing the archieves for quite some time and think I'm ready to
build a box.  I have a few questions though.

My initial plan was to use one of those tiny via EPIA boards with a built in
mpeg decoder and put in one PVR-250.

After reading the archives thought it would appear that when you are
recording a show you can only watch that show or something else pre recorded
on the drive (or possibly a DVD) but you cannot watch live TV.  This sort of
makes sense because just watching live TV is going to require a second
capture card for encoding.

OK so now I'm pretty sure I need to have two capture cards because recording
and watching another channel at the same time will be very common for me.
This means I have to setup a micro-atx board with at least pci slots.

Since I'll be using a micro-atx board or bigger and won't have a built in
mpeg decoder what video card do others recommend.  What's a fairly decent
mpeg decoder card that works great with linux and myth?

If I have one PVR-250 and one PVR-350 does this mean I no longer need a
third video card with hardware mpeg decoder? ( I know software decoding is
an option but I'm trying to aviod it).  If I understand correctly the
PVR-350 can encode one channel (say record the simpsons) while decoding
something else and doing the video play back?

Do they PVR-250 and PVR-350 come in PCI and AGP versions? If so is one
better than the other in terms of Linux / Myth?

Thanks for any tips and hints.

Like someothers on the list my christmas bonous is making a myth box a
reality for me.  Just want to be sure I get the right hardware.

Thanks guys
Malcolm