[mythtv-users] Re:Requesting help regarding mythtv.org LVM documentation

Romel Llarena rdllarena at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 22 15:14:56 EST 2003

Bob,

Thank you for your direction. The 11 extents makes
more sense now, although why would anyone want to
slice up a volume group into 64 parts? Is it a
performance issue? Why not go with one part? Just
trying to understand LVM better.

I decided to start from scratch. While in Fedora, I
launched fdisk in a console. Removed the LVM
directory, strange but there was an exact partition
that referred to a Windows FS that appeared when I
printed the partition information. Deleted both
partitions and was left with /dev/hda1-3.

When I try to recreate hda4 (to be LVM). It created a
FAT partition which causes pvcreate /dev/hda4 to fail.
The previous fdisk line was a bit confusing to me.
Should I have run # fdisk /dev/hda4?

Thanks again. I'm picking it up, but slowely. I just
purchased a 120 GB second drive today, so I can't wait
to get LVM up and running.