[mythtv-users] Looking for opinions on implementing screensaver capability

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 22 15:25:43 EST 2003

I'm looking at ways to implement screen blanking
capability within myth, basically so that a screen
left at a menu will blank to save the CRT or the LCD
lamp.  Right now I'm doing it while running Knoppmyth
from CD with a shell script that periodically checks
on how much CPU mythfrontend is using (could easily be
extended to add mplayer) and calls xset appropriately,
but that's really a kludge.

I see some options for doing this and seek opinions on
which might be preferable:

1.  Add xset calls directly in the code.  This would
allow things like blanking a screen left too long on
pause and so forth.  But it would require a patch to
every plugin to handle the screensave option.

2. Add capabilities to myththemedmenu to allow screen
blanking options in menu items.  This may seem like an
odd approach, but it would allow screensave on/off to
behandled in the xml menus and therefore no patching
of any plugins.  On the other hand, screen saver of
blanking would be on a per-plugin basis and
within-plugin stuff like handling a paused video would
not be included.

Any opinions?  If I can get our kitchen setup
transitioned from Knoppmyth to HD I want to find time
to work on this over "winter break."