[mythtv-users] MythGAME problems

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Tue Dec 23 01:31:59 EST 2003

> -----Original Message-----
> From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
> [mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Jarod C. Wilson

> On Monday 22 December 2003 12:12,
> Jonathon.Schmidt at sasktel.sk.ca wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >       Does anyone know much about MythGame?
>
> I don't. :)

I just learned.  And why are the menus for MythGame so darned slow???

> > instructions I have it set up, and I did the apt-get install xmame
> > fceultra snes but now I have a couple games, and I tried
> seeing them
> > in mythtv's frontend and I see nothing.  Ive gone through
> the mythgame
> > setup of the directories to put things and such but I cant
> seem to see
> > the games, is this because they are .zip files?

Can you launch the games from the command line using xmame?  You may
need to set up an xmamerc with some settings before this will work.  It
took me about 4 hours to get my first rom to work.

Also, MythGame uses the xmame executable to scan for games.  If "Scan
for games" or whatever it reads doesn't appear to do anything (you
should get a progress dialog) then your mame executable path is not set
right in MythGame.  The default was wrong for mine.  Look to see exactly
where xmame (or xmame.SDL or whatever) is on your system and plug that
into MythGame.

> However, I do know that when everything is set up just right,
> the game will
> play fine from within .zip files (all mine do, or at least
> did, the last time
> I checked, but that was a while ago...).

Yep.  Also you'll need the right version of xmame for the roms you have
apparently.  That wasted another 3 hours of my time...