[mythtv-users] OT: nForce2 -- the real scoop

Billy Macdonald whmac33 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 23 16:31:23 EST 2003

--- "Joseph A. Caputo" <jcaputo1 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Okay, so it seems that half the folks on this list have had no problems
> with nForce2, and half have had a bear of a time getting things up &
> running.  I'm in the market for a new mobo, and I'd really like
> integrated GF4MX, so what's the bottom line?  Should I or shouldn't I?
> Is there a 'best distro' for getting nForce2 playing nice?  Do things
> vary much between mobo makers, inasmuch as getting things working under
> Linux is concerned?  I'm tempted to chalk the bad nForce2 reports up to
> varying degrees of Linux experience, but I just want to make sure I
> won't be buying hardware that will give me nothing but headaches.
>
> -JAC

JAC,

    I have an Abit NF7 Mobo and just recently started setting up Myth on it.
Using RH9 and Fedora OSS sound for live and recorded TV worked with easy after
installing the drivers from NVidia.  I used the .src.rpm for RH9 and the
tarball in Fedora and both worked excellent.  I haven't had any playback
problems yet.  All playback that I've done so far is the MPEG2 captures from
PVR250's.  My linux experience is OK, but is limited in terms of using hardware
that does not work out of the box.

Billy