[mythtv-users] Viewing Live TV

Michael Johnson mykl at permalandra.com
Wed Dec 24 21:51:47 EST 2003

Ok, Ive been reading and reading and searching and reading... I still
cannot watch live TV.

According to the documentation on the mythtv page, a PIII 500 should be
enough to watch live tv.

Here are some specs:
Intel Board with 950 celeron
1GB of ram
NVidia GeForce 3 64mb video card
Ensoniq 1371 sound card

I am able to record and watch shows in playback fine. I can run xawtv
and see the channels. When I test audio via the ALSA drivers (run xawtv,
mute line in, run aplay /dev/dsp), I hear the audio a second after the
video as expected.

When I try to watch Live TV, I get terrible freezes. It will play video
and sound for 1 second, Freeze for 2-3 seconds, video/sound 1 second,
freeze 2-3, video/sound 1 sec. freeze, video, freeze continually. If I
try to pause the live tv for 30 seconds and watch, It still will not
'catch up'.

Any hope short of getting a PVR-250/350 and starting over?

Help me before I lose all my hair!!!!!