[mythtv-users] New Nvidia drivers announced

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 24 22:26:54 EST 2003

>From: "Jarod C. Wilson" <jcw at wilsonet.com>
>To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] New Nvidia drivers announced
>Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 12:33:49 -0800

>On Wednesday 24 December 2003 06:57, Harry Orenstein wrote:
> > From: "Jarod C. Wilson" <jcw at wilsonet.com>

> > >Okay, so those numbers were on a dual Athlon MP 2000 system with 1.5GB
>of
> > >RAM and a GeForce 4 Ti 4400. But I've seen numbers in 3000 range on an
> > >Athlon XP 1700 w/a GF4MX and 512MB of RAM (DDR), if I recall correctly.
> > >could be mistaken, but James was pulling 1800 on a 2-year old laptop
>w/a
> > >GF4MX...

> > >AGP slot speed? Perhaps that is a bit of a bottleneck...
> > >
> > >Okay, now I read your next message. 2000FPS w/the 4363 drivers. That's
> > > more like it. Sadly, nVidia seems to keep going downhill, post-4363...
> > > I've got some work to do testing the 5328 drivers this week myself,
>but
> > > the initial results make me think I'll stick to 4363.
> > >

> > Just wanted to jump in an ask a slightly more OT question:
> >
> > I have an Athlon XP 2000+ w/ GF4MX440se running 4363 and
> > I get approx. 1800 FPS on my CRT (1024x800 32bpp) and
> > 2400 FPS on my TV (800x600 24bpp).  My TV is set up with
> > XvMC if that makes a difference.
>
>Are those numbers from the same machine while connected to both of those
>displays at once? I know some facets of the nvidia driver only work on the
>primary display, but I'm not sure how that applies to OpenGL.
>
> > Does resolution affect glxgears?
>
>I'm not certain, since it just runs in a little window. I suppose it might
>have a bit of an impact.
>
> > If so, what resolution are your
> > numbers based on?
>
>1600x1200
>
> > What possible other factors might affect
> > this benchmark?
>
>Maximizing the gears versus running them in the default size window would
>have
>an impact, and that would definitely show lower numbers at higher
>resolutions.
>
> > I am just trying to get a handle on how to use
> > glxgears for a relative comparison and still compare "apples to
> > apples".
>
>Yeah, the maximized versus non-maximized one would cause major skew...
>
>- --
>Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
>
>Got a question? Read this first...
>      http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>MythTV, Fedora Core & ATrpms documentation:
>      http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/
>MythTV Searchable Mailing List Archive
>      http://www.gossamer-threads.com/archive/MythTV_C2/

Jarod,

My numbers are with a dual display running first on the CRT and
then on the TV without reboot or change.  I have 512MB DDR
2700 and the GFMX440se is 4x on an Asus A7V8X-X mobo.

If your numbers for the XP1700 are correct I seem to be very,
very low.  I can understand why your dual Athlon MP blows me
away (especially w/ the Ti), but I wonder if you could verify
your numbers for the XP1700.

I too intend to try the later versions of the driver [the current
and maybe the beta to see the config tool  ;-) ].  I am just
hesitant to mess up a good, working Myth config.  I started
on 0.7 (?) and have never had any significant problem with any
subsequent Myth or ivtv release (knock wood).  I suppose I'll
have to dive in eventually.  I'm on MDK9.1 and need to upgrade
to a newer kernel for other reasons.  Just have to screw up my
courage.

-- Harry O.