[mythtv-users] JBL TC1000 Remote (and other remote advice)

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Dec 25 18:18:21 EST 2003

On Sep 20, 2003, at 02:11, ray cielencki wrote:

>>> What are some other remote control suggestions?
>>
>> This is something I'm starting to look into right now myself (I have
>> too many freakin' remotes...). There have been a few different ones
>> recommended in prior threads, so search the archive too. I like the
>> look of that one, because I've got a Yamaha amp, Panasonic TV,
>> Motorola cable box, X-Box, all specifically mentioned as working with
>> that remote. Barring drastic differences in my equipment from that
>> guy's, all I'd have to figure out is MythTV and my Technics CD
>> changer. But I don't really like the $350 MSRP... Anyone with
>> recommendations that'll work with everything I've got would also be
>> welcome.
>
> ive got a rat-shack 8-in-1 (15-2116), with an lcd that is jp1
> compatible and works with all of my equipment - even leaving me an
> extra button that i use for lircmd/other irxevent/irexec stuff (like
> killing/restarting mythfrontend and shutting down completely). there
> is also an "extender" that allows you to customize what the lcd says.
> the jp1 group has a boat-load of custom device codes - check out
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/3.%20Device%20Codes/>. a
> cursory look shows that all your devices should work - the xbox isn't
> listed, but should with one of the RCA DVD codes. also more info on
> jp1 can be found at <http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/index.shtml>.

I know I'm replying to a message over 3 months old, but I just now got
around to doing something about a universal remote. A universal remote
was about the only thing I could think of that I wanted for Christmas
(besides computer crap, which my wife won't get me :), so I told her I
wouldn't mind a RadioShack 8-in-1, pn 15-2116, just like Ray's. Heck,
it was only $30. She got it for me.

So far, all I can say is SCHWEEEEET! I'm controlling my Yamaha
receiver/amp, Panasonic HDTV, Motorola DCT5100 cable box, Technics
110-disc CD changer, X-Box, and I've got the Hauppauge IR receiver for
my PVR-250 accepting input from it as well (gotta create a new lirc
config file though). Not too shabby for a $30 remote. I thought I might
have to get a new IR receiver for the computer, but no. Kick-ass!

Belated thanks for the recommendation, Ray! ;-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/