[mythtv-users] OT: Wide Mode Video player on linux?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Dec 26 03:26:20 EST 2003

On Dec 25, 2003, at 22:46, Ian Forde wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-12-25 at 22:13, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
>> My MythVideo launch command:
>>
>> /usr/bin/mplayer -fs -zoom -quiet -monitoraspect 16:9 -vo xv -ao
>> alsa9:spdif -ac hwac3, %s
>>
>> Of particular interest to you is the "-monitoraspect 16:9" part. All
>> my
>> stuff plays with the correct aspect ratio on my HDTV.
>
> Here's a tip.  For the user that you run mythfrontend as, edit the file
> ~mythfrontend/.mplayer/config and you'll find that you can add those
> settings so as to not have to add them to all player types.  I usually
> try to only put the settings that I'll ALWAYS use in there, so mine
> reads:
>
> fs=yes
> zoom=yes
> really-quiet=yes
> vo=xv
> nolirc=yes
> nojoystick=yes
> ao-alsa9:hw:0,3
> monitoraspect=16:9
>
> This way you can just use '/usr/bin/mplayer' as your player!

That's even better. :) Hadn't taken the time to figure out what was
required for that yet... All of those look perfectly straight-forward,
except the ao-alsa9:hw:0,3 line. Does that do the same thing as the
"-ao alsa9:spdif -ac hwac3," part of my command-line? (I know I should
just read the mplayer docs myself, but no time right now... :)

I also need to start looking at mplayer native lirc, since the switch
to myth native lirc meant killing off the irxevent stuff, which was
also conveniently throwing commands at mplayer...

Ya learn something new every day! ;-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...