[mythtv-users] Re:Waited 2 seconds... Still... Any more ideas?

Doug Ballance dballanc at rollanet.org
Sat Dec 27 18:25:38 EST 2003

---quoted
As I said, I believe this has nothing to do with hardware. Instead, why
don't you try this that somebody else suggested here a few days ago:

Start watching live TV, then immediately pause (press the 'p' key) for
30 seconds. After 30 seconds have passed, press the 'p' again to restart
playing. The idea is to see if you get the lockup watching live TV 30
seconds behind the real signal.

I did this once two days ago and didn't get a lockup during the whole
time I left the live TV going (a full night, about 10 hours.)
---end quote

I've been having this same problem also.  Pausing the playback for atleast 30sec helped a LOT, but I would still get occasional lockups ranging from 15min to 4 hours.  Without pausing first, it would freeze in the first few minutes of TV viewing.

I did find something that helped the reduce the freezing.  I recompiled my kernel and enabled RTC support.  I'm running gentoo, and somehow when I set up my kernel this didn't get added.  Now the system still locks up occasionally, but much less than before.... and I don't have to pause 30s to watch tv.

Now if I could get rid of random sound crackling (via82xx) things would be looking good :)

-Doug