[mythtv-users] help me check parts list before I buy...

Malcolm mythtv at lds.dyndns.org
Sun Dec 28 19:25:14 EST 2003

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 23:43:07 -0500
Preston Crow <pc-mythtv at crowcastle.net> wrote:

> So I'm assuming that you're using one box to do everything.  (Some
> people use different boxes to play and record; that means you can put a
> good portion of the hardware where you don't care so much about heat and
> noise, but it's more expensive.)

Yes all in one easy to use box.  I plan to possably have the box somewhat
portable so if I decide to head over to a buddies house or something I can
just unplug my myth box and take it over.  Plug in a few cables and
play back some thing I recorded on TV or just simply show off the box.

Since my last post I've found this shuttle box I'm considering.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=56-101-409&catalog=3&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

> > 512 RAM
> > At least a 2.0 Ghz CPU.  Probably a 2.4 or more depending on price.
> > Either 80 or 120 Gig drive (not to important now, can always add or
> > upgrade).
>
> You don't mention a HDTV tuner.  Without HDTV, I think you're probably
> getting more CPU than you really need, but you're still at the low end,
> so that should be fine.  I would start with a larger hard drive--adding
> more later probably means having two drives, which means having more
> heat and noise.  On the other hand, if you replace instead of add on,
> and cost is a major concern, that could make sense.

I never really thought of the added noise although hard drives now days
can be very quite.  Point well taken though.  I'll start out with as large
a drive as I can afford.  I do however have several linux boxes in my
basement with pretty HUGE disk space available and I may just look into
doing an NFS mount and get some extra disk space.

> > 1 x PVR-250
> > 1 x PVR-350
> > 1 x unknown video card with hardware decoding.  I don't plan on using
> > the 350 for play back just yet.  I see to many things on this theard
> > that don't work right yet.  My plan is to have an easy to use
> > "finished" box that the kids and wife can all use from remote control
> > with no problem. So why a 350 you ask?  Well I'll upgrade to using it
> > for TV out at a later date when drivers are more mature and existing
> > issues have been worked out.
>
> I haven't heard much about problems with using the 350 for video out, so
> you might want to reconsider using it.  It's the only full-MPEG playback
> device that I'm aware of with a working driver.  I bought a Gforce4
> 440MX SE, which has hardware MPEG decoding, but that isn't supported by
> the Linux drivers, though the motion compenstaion is useful (and the SE
> model doesn't require a fan on the GPU).  I think the 350 is adequate
> for anything you record with the 250 or 350 as well as DVDs (I'm sure
> someone will correct me if I'm wrong).  The 350 will not do HDTV, but
> that doesn't appear to be an issue for you.

I see quite a few issues with using the 350 for tv/video out.  I don't
know if it's just some people or a select few?  I've seen things like live
TV goofs up after watching for X period of time and the temp fix was to
pause TV for about 30 seconds and then play back so there's a buffer.
I don't remember them all by heart but I've been watching the list for a
while and I see issues creeping up from time to time.
If I go with the little shuttle box (link above) then the 350 TV out is my
only choice.  Hopefully things work out :)

 No I don't have an HDTV or
tuner. I assume that requires another PCI slot?  anyhow not an issue for
me as I don't have an HDTV.

I have another quick question.  If I have the 250 and a 350 in my box do I
have to use both of their remote controls to work the box?

Thanks
Malcolm