[mythtv-users] Problem with "apt-get" of ivtv drivers (using Jarod's Guide)

Rick T. Su Rick.Su at Alum.Dartmouth.ORG
Tue Dec 30 15:57:08 EST 2003

I am just starting to build my MythTV Box.  Have
been following Jarod's new guide using the Fedora
Core release without much problem.  However,
reaching the section on Ivtv, I can't seem to get
it to work.  This is what I get
after typing in " apt-get install ivtv-kmdl-`uname
-r` "

-----------------

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may
mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are
using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not
yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is
extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug
report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the
situation:

   ivtv-kmdl-2.4.22-1.2135.nptl_27.rhfc1.at:
Depends: ivtv-firmware (>= 17_21288) but it is not
installable
E: Broken packages

------------------

I realize from reading the forums that there is a
firmware issue.  I have tried moving on with the
guided and getting the firmware in place with
"wget" and a downloaded version of
ivtvfwextract.pl (since I'm assuming this is
suppose to come after the ivtv-kmdl and ivtv are
installed).  Nevertheless, none of those methods
work either.  Trying to install ivtv using the
instructions from the ivtv site only added to the
confusion with little noticeable results.

If anyone has any ideas or encountered this
before, I would appreciate any advise.  I'm
learning as I go, but this has so far held me up.

Thanks in advance,

Rick