[mythtv-users] Myth, WinXX Playback & 20 questions

Duane Ellis duane at franklin.com
Wed Dec 31 18:35:27 EST 2003

Well,

I'm getting further. Have you seen the 'mplayer plugin' for Mozilla?
(Linux only - it works!)

caviats:
	no control over fast-forward, pause etc, maybe KI just don't
	know the keys I can press.  No ability to resize the screen,
	and part of it is chopped off. :-(

All I had to do was make apache send it out with the correct mime type
and filename extension and click on it.

I wish it would play the stream as it comes down and I wish it would
work from Windows. It wants to down load the entire 6 gig file then
play it :-<

MPLAYER though which everything is based off of sucks rightnow because
of the audio problems. I think maybe it's because ffplay is just a
hokey test app.

>> I did a smal hack to mythweb to add a play link. I used it to test the new
   network source filter, it worked realy well, except that zoomplayer that I
   use most of the time to play files can't handle url's and neighter coud
   mediaplayer classic, so I'm stuck with mplayer2

Can you send me what you did on mythweb, I'd like to play with it some
more. All I need is a sample of what the HTML needs to look like to
make win-media-old play a file so I launch the right app (I have
several stupid things that think they own MPEG files... grrr)

I also got the mplayer for cygwin (winXX) it lets you play from a URL,
and it will play as it streams it down :-> all I had to do was tell it
to open the file:

   http://borgcube/xyz.nuv

It seems a bit quirky - pre-alpha level test code at best. Perhaps
though the CVS version is better.

> Renaming: YYMMDD....YYMMDD.....nuv -> HumanName.nuv makes your
> package not work.

>> Not sure why you woud need somthing like that.

Reason #1

Mythweb can't play video right now on a PC - SO I thought - maybe I'd
make a static shortcut to the video directory on my server.  Human
names (really a bunch of sym-links to the NUV files elsewhere) then my
wife for example could sort by name and find "Judge Judy" instead of
some cryptic number sequence.

>> The best solution woud be if it worked without renaming the files.

Reason #2

Yea but - what about -off-network- ie: Copy some video to your laptop
so you can watch it on a train/plane trip...

It would be nice if the NUV files held as a backup - the show
information much like the ID3 tags on MP3 files do. Hence, they could
survive being renamed and database deletion - or the most horrid thing
of all time a vaction that includes visiting your in-laws.

BTW - I'm not going to be around till monday - (vacation, try to ski -
bah ha ha ha and not mess my back up again).

-Duane.