[mythtv-users] MythTV & Dolby ProLogic question

Rasmus Ekman rasmus.ekman at kryddsill.net
Wed Feb 12 04:51:00 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Isaac Richards" <ijr at po.cwru.edu>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at snowman.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 4:10 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] MythTV & Dolby ProLogic question

> On Tuesday 11 February 2003 02:00 pm, Cliff Draper wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After spending sometime configuring hardware (I had to replace my
> > Fortismo III with a SB Live, and replace an old ATI video card with an
> > old nVidia card, and get rid of the generated mysql password), I'm now
> > at the point where I can start trying to get the best results out of
> > my system.
> >
> > Some broadcasts are sent in Dolby ProLogic encoded in 2 channels and I
> > want to make sure that when LAME is used to do compression, it doesn't
> > "compress out" the Dolby ProLogic information.  My understanding is
> > that this means LAME should be run with full stereo (sometimes simply
> > known as "stereo" I believe) instead of "joint stereo".  Does MythTV
> > use "joint stereo"?  And if so, how can I switch it to use full
> > stereo?
>
> It always compresses in full stereo mode, not joint stereo.
>
> Isaac

Why would you want full stereo mode? It's just an urbanlegend (kind of,
since it used to be true) that full stereo is superior to joint-stereo. For
those not familiar with join-stereo, it compares the difference between the
two channels and thus mannages to have a higher quality/filesize ratio.
Encoders used to be kind of bad at doing this, and so it got a bad rep.
However, nowadays lame does a terrific job.

Rasmus

ps. this is what I've read up on over the internet, so I might be wrong. If
so, please do correct me :) .ds