[mythtv-users] Worlds most craptacular GF card (Hardware Warning)

Rob Snow lists at dympna.com
Wed Feb 12 22:04:50 EST 2003

So I was building a new Linux box and decided to use a cheap MX type card on it as
it will probably do everything I want...just some videos, light 3d just to see it work, etc.

I purchased a Apollo MX440SE 64MB SDRAM card from newegg for $46, just the
bill...cheap and reasonable performance....

What a piece of shit, the card has a improper PCI ID (0x171, should be 0x173) and
runs HORRIBLE.  Quake2 runs at ~30fps maximum, glxgears runs around 650fps,
MythTV gets pissed and hangs after a few seconds or a minute if I put it in window
mode.

Just for grins I put my 4200 in the same box while trying to debug: glxgears =
5500fps, Quake2 = 175fps and MythTV works (mostly).

I had seen people getting ~2Kfps in glxgears with MX cards and figured that was
enough horsepower for puttering around....this ain't that card....  The worst part is that
I must have thrown the original box out over the last couple of days and now I'm
guessing I'm stuck with it.  I'll try newegg support out, but it would be a miracle if they
took it back.

Product Link:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=apollo+440+SDR+1.3

Be warned,