[mythtv-users] Anyone running a diskless frontend?

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Thu Feb 13 08:21:05 EST 2003

> Van: Aaron Stewart <acs at hourglassone.com>
>
> Seems like a bad idea from a purely bandwidth standpoint.. 100mbits/sec
> only stretches so far :).. you'll be hammering your switch pretty hard,
> and congesting your network if any other machines on it use your storage
> box .

Huh?

Even WiFi @ 5.5mbit/s nominal can [..barely..] handle the DivX stream that
MythTV is generating. Booting the OS form network shouldn't be a big
problem, IF you have a small distro. AFAIK, there are dozens of companies
that use thin clients (again) nowadays.

Or at least kernel + X + WM + Myth* + QT(?) frontend, should run natively
on your frontend machine, I guess. People are already running MythTV 0.7
(before the split) on machines with 128MB, those machines have diskcaches
too. I don't think you'll run into (low) memory problems. But as always,
the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

	Henk Poley <><