[mythtv-users] Preemptive Kernel Patch

Monty Walls mwalls at castor.oktax.state.ok.us
Tue Feb 18 10:48:09 EST 2003

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 14:46:18 -0800 (PST)
Cliff Draper <Cliff.Draper at Sun.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just tried the Preemptive Kernel Patch.  I went from practically no
> stutter to very noticeable stutter.  That was just during play back;
> the machine wasn't running anything else.  So, thinking that some
> other process was occasionally stealing the system (I don't know,
> mysql or something), I reniced by -5 all of the mythfrontend
> processes.  After that, the stutter went away.
>
> Has anyone else had a similar experience with the Preemptive Kernel
> Patch?  Did you have to renice as well?  By how much?

I'm running the preemptive-kernel patch with the low-latency patches on
RH 7.3 (kernel 2.4.18-19.7).  I saw the same kind of stuttering before I
niced myth to -20.  As a suggestion don't request realtime priority with
mythfrontend (hangs the box...).

As far as the stuttering, it kind of makes sense in that the actual
capture activities can not be preempted in kernel, by other tasks.

I've also used vcr with some realtime patches on the same kernel
patches and had good luck (3 RT threads: audio, video, writer threads).

--
-Monty Walls (mwalls at castor.oktax.state.ok.us)
-	MIS, Oklahoma Tax Commission