[mythtv-users] cvs compile problems

Gregorio Gervasio Jr. gtgj at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 20 17:09:11 EST 2003

>> Stuff's going to be broken on non-x86 archs.

c> permanently or temporarily? I ask because I'm interested in getting
c> the frontend running on an old imac and a PPC distro. I also asked a
c> long time ago whether it would ever be possible to compile the
c> frontend seprately from the backend. I think I got a solid "maybe"
c> back then. I ask because I have aspirations of getting the frontend
c> working on OS X.. The backend seems too closely tied to linux (v4l,
c> etc) but considering the fink project has all of KDE and GNOME running
c> on top of OS X, it seems reasonable that mythtv frontend could too.

        I've been able to compile the frontend for my Apple Powerbook
running Linux.  Some endian patches are required in
NuppelVideoPlayer.cpp and the libavcodec ppc files in mythtv wouldn't
compile so I cheated for now and used the versions distributed
with mplayer.  Everything (Xv video, EPG, setup, mysql) seems to work
except for audio -- the sound is garbled so there's probably some
endianness issues there.  I'm still tracking the problem down.
mplayer with the patch to read mythtv nuv files has correct audio.

        I haven't been able to get the libavcodec Altivec-enhanced
routines to work (even with mplayer -- video output is all wrong) so
it's using a lot of CPU just to decode.  It uses about 70% on a
400MHz G4 for a 640x480 @3300k stream.

        I'll submit patches once I get everything (well, not the
backend) really working.  I may also look into MacOS X.  As you say,
Apple has X11 and fink has mysql and qt3, as well as mplayer so it
might not be hard.
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gtgj at pacbell.net