[mythtv-users] mythtv on ppc (was: cvs compile problems)

Cedar McKay cedarmckay at mac.com
Thu Feb 20 22:08:40 EST 2003

>         I think OSX X11 does have Xv support and fink Qt is the X11
> version (Qt/Mac is not free?) so the easiest path is to run mythtv
> under X11 anyway.
That is lovely to hear about the Xv support. You are correct, QT for
X11 is free, QT for windows, mac, etc cost $.

>  It looks like the Altivec parts were written for Apple's gcc
> or maybe some version from Motorola.  For now, I'll just try to get
> mythfrontend to work without Altivec.  Later on, I will take a look at
> Gentoo/fink mplayer to see if/how they used Altivec-enabled
> libavcodec.

That is fine with me, the machine I want to run frontend on is a G3!
Altivec is for you rich snobby G4 owners.

>   What might be a problem is sound (no OSS), but we
> could probably take a look at fink mplayer or xine to see how it's
> done.

Well, unless mythtv frontend (player only!) accesses the sound system
in a very different way from mplayer and all the other sound enabled
apps that run fine on OS X with fink, then I can't imagine it would be
too difficult (says the idiot who can't code).

I might get curious enough about all this to download as many
prerequisites as I can using fink, and see what happens when I try to
compile. I predict that it won't work, but I'd like to see how it fails.

best,

cedar