[mythtv-users] Minimizing a Distribution

Robert Middleswarth robert at middleswarth.net
Fri Feb 28 17:02:25 EST 2003

Micah Morton wrote:

>Agree'd... I,in NO way want to get rid of MythTV as an application, but
>instead would like to offer it along side <insert your favorite distro
>here>. I REALLY discourage people from creating their own completely
>custom distro.  An easier, more effective way of doing this would be to
>hack apart an existing distro, pull out the stuff you don't need, insert
>the stuff you do... and maintaining a distro like that would be effortless
>as the original distro's packages and libraries would work on it assuming
>you didn't screw with any of the distro's structure.
>
>Hence, if we hacked apart debian and make DebianTV or whatever, obviously
>.deb packages and apt-get would work just fine on it and upgrading, adding
>and deleting packages would be as easy as it would on debian.
>
>Same applies for gentoo.
>
>--Micah Morton

Same applies for Redhat, Mandrake, etc.  I think that would be easier
then many think just no one has taken the time to create it.  Also the
issue of which distro to base it off of would be an issues.  Break downs
from my point of view.

Gentoo - Pro - Fast, Optimized - Cons Hard to install, bleading edge
breaks thing alot.
Redhat - Pro - Popular, Well supported, easy of install - Cons Doesn't
support Alsa out of box, Broken libpatex out of box.
Debian - Pro - Apt-get, myth developed on it. - Con poor hardware auto
detection, not easy to install.
Mandrake - Haven't used since it was redhat with KDE back in redhat 5.x
days but based on what I read supports alsa out of box.

Robert