[mythtv-users] Re: [mythtv] Problem changing channels ..

James Sleeman bitsy_boffin at cyberdude.com
Wed Feb 12 19:57:19 UTC 2003

Michael J. Sherman wrote:

>>> you using alsa or oss? If oss, you might give alsa a shot.
>>>

>> Which soundcard (ie: can it do duplex) ?
>>

> It's just an on-board sound card built into the motherboard.  Everything
> else I use in Linux (xmms, mplayer, xawtv, etc..) seem to have no problems.
>
> I'm just having a host of issues with MythTV:
>
> 1) Trying to watch TV causes it to lock up (apparently this sound card
> issue)
> 2) Using MythMusic, when I choose the "Select Music" option mythmusic
> crashes.
> 3) Using MythMusic, when I choose the "Play Music" option there is
> nothing listed (even though it read everything in on startup as seen on
> the console).
> 4) In the Play Music screen I cannot edit the playlist
> 5) Trying to Import a CD also crashes MythMusic
>
> Is this program really that buggy?!?!?  It seems *completely* unusable
> in everything I try to do.  The *only* thing that works for me is
> viewing the schedule of programs.  That's it.  Everything else seems to
> crash or hang.

I'm having EXACTLY the sam issues (except for #2). I have a EPIA M9000
with a bt878, running Via's own drivers and xawtv works and mplayer
plays music. The problem I'm having trouble resolving is this: can my
soundcard do dulpex? I have read somewhere that MythTV will not show any
video if duplex audio is not present (!). Is there some way to confirm
this? I have read some threads about using two instances of xawtv to
test duplex, but that doesn't work for me.

Interrestingly enough watching LiveTV can be quit with ESC if I don't
press "c" (that will hang MythTV). All I see is a blank screen, though,
but something is being recorded, I can see the cache-file growing.

Another thing is that I have gotten MythTV to show me video twice in the
last four weeks, but only very briefly. I have no idea what I did right
those two times and I have not been able to recreate the circumstances.
Does xmltv provide working channels, or only programlistings? I have
tried to use both tv_grab_fi-output and xawtv-configuration files for
mythfilldatabase, but no go.

I have now tried to install MythTV for several weeks. I am becoming very
disillusioned, so if someone has some answers other that RTFM, please
help, because I have read the docs and rummaged through the mailinglists
A LOT.

Nybä