[mythtv-users] Anyone running a diskless frontend?

IvanK. chepati at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 13 19:21:37 UTC 2003

Further to this discussion, I have been thinking about this.  <Disclaimer>
this is a question, not a suggestion.  I haven't tried it and doubt it will
be very efficient.</Disclaimer>

How about running the backend *and* frontend somewhere in a storage room or
whereever you can't hear it.  Then next to your TV you have a Pentium 200 or
some such just running X -query mythserver?  Vanilla pentiums used to be
quiter than a mouse.  Double that with a nfs-root and you have a dead silent
"frontend" that only has a network card and a TV-out PCI card.  The video
card of course must have xv support.  You have to take care of audio.  How
about nas?

Would the traffic choke a 100MB switch?  Is this even feasable to attempt?

Thanks,
IvanK.