[mythtv-users] Like an old movie!

JC johnmythtv at crombe.com
Sat Feb 15 00:42:20 UTC 2003

That's very interesting, Issac.  Thanks.

Don't you think that the GUI should skip asking for the resolution if you
pick hardware mjpeg?  Kind of fools the user letting them pick something
that doesn't do anything.

Finally, as you say, my hardware can't decode software in that resolution.
Well, what if I'm doing recording only (encoding) but not watching it.  In
that case, shouldn't decimation 1,2 2,1 or 1,1 work and then I can "watch
only" later?

As I understand it, decimation 1, x means 640,x and decimation x,1 means
x,480 (for NTSC) right?  So, I guess the next logical question is, is there
any way to go somewhere in-between?  Rather than 352x240 I'd love to try
something around 352x352 or 480x352, etc.  It's a huge jump up to 640x480
from 352x240 (4x right?).  Can intermediate resolutions be added like they
are in the other compression formats?  That would be really nice to have.

Thanks,
JC