[mythtv-users] Two TV Tuner Cards and remoted playback

Larry Matter mythtv at matter.net
Wed Feb 19 20:58:31 UTC 2003

I have two tuners in an Athlon 1400.  I also have another machine as a
frontend only (EPIA M 9000).  The tuners are a Pinnacle PCTV and a
Hauuuupauuuge FM/Stereo (and btaudio works on that one).

Last night I tried watching liveTV on the Athlon and the EPIA at the same
time (2x encode and 1x decode on the Athlon).  It worked fine, no
observable dropped frames.  I would assume that recording two shows and
playing another would work just as well.

I am running mpeg4 at 400x480, no deinterlace; this gives me the best
performance on the EPIA.

A couple of observations (BTW, I had both tuners on the same channel):

The remoted machine played back about 2-3 seconds delayed from the Athlon.
 Not a problem but I found it interesting.

I was watching one of these late night talk shows, with the host standing
up in front of a mostly blue background.  On the blue background I could
see a lot of the "boxiness" of the compression.  I found that decreasing
the minimum quality to 5 (from 15) made this a whole lot better and didn't
seem to impact the server very much at all.  I also increased the bitrate
from 2200 to 3000 - I didn't notice any difference with that.

Larry