[mythtv-users] Minimizing a Distribution

HoytDuff hoyt at cavtel.net
Fri Feb 28 17:12:12 UTC 2003

On Friday 28 February 2003 11:53 am, Matthew Brichacek wrote:
> I'm up to help make a custom debian installer that will lay down an OS
> with the possible choices of "myth minimal, myth dev, myth+desktop" and
> maybe some others.
> Any other ideas, comments, flames?

I don't believe there's any necessity to maintain a full distro just for
MythTV. Being able to "add on" to existing distros would be sufficient. I
only have experience with Red Hat and Mandrake.

This would be easy enough to do in Red Hat or Mandrake just by modifying one
or two files, and a simple kickstart floppy might be enough to do it with a
"regular" version of the distro. Both allow for extra CDs, so a CD could be
generated to contain all the MythTV-specific data. And both can use apt/urpmi
repositories for network installs. Both of them already have "minimal"
install options and an rpm of MythTV already exists. It shouldn't be too much
trouble to massage the spec file and create spec files for the other MythTV
modules along with scripits to build rpms from the CVS tree.

--
Hoyt
http://www.maximumhoyt.com

Run with scissors. Remove mattress tags. Top post. Be a rebel.