[mythtv-users] Minimizing a Distribution

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Fri Feb 28 18:23:48 UTC 2003

Is trying to move MythTV from a sophisticated app to a mini-distribution
really a good idea? Personally, I doubt it. Consider some of the things
that such a distro needs to deal with:

1. All the standard kernel-related issues regarding filesystem/partition
types, NIC drivers, sound-card drivers, v4l drivers, and more.

2. All the usual X issues, including kernel framebuffers.

3. All the TV-out issues ... and remember that many TV-out systems (Matrox,
ATI, nVidea) require specialized framebuffers, X drivers, &/or control apps
(matroxset, atitvout, nvtv). The Matrox framebuffer patches for enabling
TV-out are specific to kernel 2.4.19 (and 2.5.something_or_other) ... are
we willing to live with that kernel restriction indefinitely, or will
"MythOS" need to include multiple kernel choices?

4. All the 802.11 issues, some of which require modules outside the kernel
(e.g., linux-wlan-ng for Prism-based cards).

5. All the lirc issues for people using remotes.

6. The usual distro-level issues involving updates, particularly
security-related patches.

7. Incidentals like setting up networking, handling time sync'ing via ntp,
and providing for remote-access options (ssh? smb mounts? nfs?).

I'm probably leaving some important questions out, but this list already
seems big enough to give one pause.

Although I've only installed MythTV on a test basis up to now, that's
because my work involves addressing these other issues in the context of
developing a dedicated Linux-based video platform. My take on them is that
getting it all worked out when you can select specific target hardware to
develop for is bad enough. Trying to create -- AND maintain -- a distro
that handles all possible (or at least all plausible) hardware combinations
is a lot of work, and it would distract the developers here from improving
the core functionality of MythTV as an app.

Perhaps some of those of you who have (below) described your own
configurations would take a minute to consider, then discuss, how easy or
hard it would be to generalize your approaches to handle the variety of
sound cards, TV cards, video displays, NICs (including wireless), and other
hardware that we see discussed here regularly.

I suspect a more modest initial goal -- a FAQ-like document describing
approaches to setting up a host for running MythTV, as someone suggests
below -- is a more realistic target, at least for the short term. Included
here could be device-specific advice for, at a minimum, the various TV
cards, sound cards, and TV-out display possibilities. This alone would
eliminate a lot of the repeated Q&As and the "search the list archive"