[mythtv-users] XMLTV is Broken in North America

Shawn core at enodev.com
Tue Jul 1 16:13:16 EDT 2003

Well, here's my take.

MythTV is not a HUGE consumer product that will detract from there ad
revenues like TiVo, as it takes more than a novice to get up and running
sufficiently.

Therefore: I don't think they give a flying shit if MythTV sucks data,
so long as it does not load their servers/link down. (10,000 people do
mythfilldatabase at 12:00am).

I think it would be in all our best interest if we create a proxy guide
data service based on XML. Such an infrastructure  could conceivably use
/both/ tv.yahoo.com and zap2it where channel data is unambiguously the
same (I know, it's not 100%). At least something like this would provide
a bit of a buffer when zap2it decides to  be a stank ass bitch about
their website.

Having said that, it might be nice to explore all angles, including some
pay-for service where a company like yahoo might be persuaded to make
XML dumps available for a fee. Regarding zap2it, I just get the feeling
they're going to be bitches about things.