[mythtv-users] XMLTV is Broken in North America

Anduin Withers awithers at anduin.com
Tue Jul 1 14:25:45 EDT 2003

> Choice 2: MythTV users would pay a subscription fee in
> exchange for an XML feed of the content. I believe
> this should be a pretty modest fee, along the lines of
> $3.95/month.

I would be very much in favor of option 2. I hate the fact that I shell out
money to AT&T (well Comcast now) every month for a totally useless EPG
filled with ads (and painfully slow). The nice thing about paying for the
information is that we could probably get more reliable information (unique
program IDs!) in the process.

On Zap2It's site they mention that they may be offering a pay service in the
future. Their idea is probably just an ad-free version of their current site
but perhaps they would be willing to expand that to an xmltv feed.

I don't think choice 1 will work. If there were even a moderately complex
way for me to fix my stupid digital cable provider's EPG so it didn't show
ads I'd do it. Heck I'd buy a soldering iron to do it if the process needed
one (easier to buy a new one than dig up the old one).

NTM you'd have to push the ads out to MythWeb as well.

--
Anduin Withers