[mythtv-users] Single Box for Myth font/backend

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu Jul 3 13:33:36 EDT 2003

At 02:54 PM 7/3/2003 -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
>Why can't people have half a brain and respond below what they're responding
>to?

Despite the amusing touch, I assume you mean the implied criticism to be
taken seriously. So let me try to answer the substantive question you ask.

The reason "why" is that not everybody thinks that respond-at-the-bottom is
always the most readable way to respond to questions. I don't, for example
... especially when I am replying to a long message and have some reason
for wanting to keep the original intact. The reply is too easily lost in
such situations.

The people who think respond-at-the-bottom is the best way ... or at least
some of them ... are pushy and vocal about it, and have tried to make it an
e-mail standard simply by asserting that it is one. You can find a lot of
authoritative-looking URLs on this, but in the end their "authority" is
self-granted. Some of us reject this pseudo-standard because we think (or
at least I do) that a different approach is sometimes clearer ... easier
both to write and to read. As your own comment above illustrated, in its
original context.

My goal is always clarity of exposition, not conformity to arbitrary rules.
I will continue to make that my primary concern, here and anywhere else I
write things.

BTW, Isaac, I'm not trying to start a fight here (despite your implying
that I have <0.5 brains). I'm just answering a question with my best
understanding of the actual situation. You did ask.

>On Thursday 03 July 2003 02:39 pm, Adam Biskobing wrote:
[stuff deleted as irrelevant to my reply]