[mythtv-users] alsa help on mandrake 9.1 (OT?)

Blaise St-Laurent blaise at geeky.net
Sat Jul 5 00:53:19 EDT 2003

Here's the deal:

I have a Giga-byte GA-7VRXP which has the ens1371 onboard, and i'm
installing Mandrake 9.1. I've run Mandrake for a couple of years, and i
have a couple of Mandrake 9.1 boxes installed and running. Here's the
problem. I've never had to run ALSA before, and quite frankly, I'm
stumped. I've hit a couple of different problems:

During the Mandrake installation process, when i go to select the
specific snd-ens1371 driver from the summary screen, this causes the
installer to crash :( (i hop to a console, and runinstall2 cycles at
100%CPU)

If i let it install the OSS driver, it works fine.

Once the system is up and running, i then try and get alsa working. (are
there any gui tools i can use on 9.1 to do this?) I edited my
module.conf  with the following (added the following)

# ALSA portion
        alias char-major-116 snd
        alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1371
	# module options should go here

        # OSS/Free portion
        alias char-major-14 soundcore
        alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

	# card #1
	alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
	alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
	alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
	alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
	alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

and commented out the es1371 oss line (should i have?)

do a chkconfig --add alsa, reboot. I check lsmod, and all the drivers
are running correctly. I can set the volume from amixer and alsamixer
without a problem. However, the soundcard totally refuses to work: OSS
support is gone, i can't get sound from aplay or from any other system.

aplay hangs in an infinite loop (straceing it shows an ioctl call
looping with a result of -1)

Could someone post their what alsa related rpms they have installed, as
well as their modules.conf and any other configuration they needed to
get this running?

Is it even necessary to get alsa running for this soundcard to work well
with mythtv? would installing from source (something i'm loath to do if
there are already RPMS installed for that package on the box) solve this
problem?

OH, does anyone know if alsa plays well with devfs? could that be one of
the problems?

Thanks in advance, from what i've seen, myth is a fantastic package.