[mythtv-users] DVB and DirecTV / DishNetworks (was: DVB and DirecTV)

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Mon Jul 7 21:35:05 EDT 2003

Zachary S. Bedell wrote:

>I've seen software decoders that work for Nagravision (DishNetworks) and a few other various systems, but I don't think anything like that is even *possible* for DirecTV.

Ah, I didn't know that DishNetwork is easier to decrypt. This lines up
with what I just found on the linuxdvr list
<http://www.google.com/search?q=+site:www.linuxtv.org+Nagravision+CAM>.
One msg says that they use a modified variant of the Nagravision
encryption and that you need a unique box number (matching the smart
card) to get it to work at all (in theory), and that number is very hard
to acquire even given the box. No commercial decoders sold.

The Google search also shows that it's appearantly an old subject, and I
wouldn't want to waste everyone's time by discussing it here again
(sorry for opening the thread). If anyone knows any competent summary of
the current situation, please post the link, though.

>(Isn't it wonderful to live in a free country where you can get locked up for even talking about decrypting a signal, even if you're already paying DTV $90 a month for it?)

Definitely. I thank our glory politicans every morning when I stand up.
s/free/claimed-to-be free/

>The other idea I had involved finding a way to sample the raw MPEG data out of a real DTV receiver.

One msg said that people tried that as well, and DirecTV was furious to
scotch that. I guess it's the media mafia^Wkartell^Windustry behind it.