[mythtv-users] New video drivers for the EPIA boards at via

Igor Izyumin igor at mlug.missouri.edu
Mon Jul 7 18:26:05 EDT 2003

Michael J. Hammel wrote:

>On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 16:05, Adrian Burden wrote:
>

>>Just noticed new drivers over at via for the EPIA series of MOBO's.
>>http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=296#cle266
>>

>I'm glad you pointed that out, since that page describes the motherboard
>I have in the STB I'm trying to set up with MythTV. I'm trying to get
>the PLE133T/PLE133/KLE133 display driver working.  Here is the hardware
>I have integrated on the motherboard:
>
>   VIA C3(aka Samuel 2), 733/800MHz - CPU
>   Trident CyberBlade/i1 - Video controller
>   SAA7114 - Video decoder (Tuner)
>   RealMagic 8470 - MPEG 2/4 decoder (Sigma Designs)
>   VIA Tech VT8601 - PCI Bridge (AGP, NorthBridge)
>   VIA VT82C686 - ACPI (SouthBridge)
>   VIA VT82C686 AC97 - Audio controller
>   Realtek RTL-8139/8139C (1 & 2) - Ethernet controllers
>
>In order to get this working I've had to use Alsa 0.9.4 on RH8.0.  I can
>get audio working from the TV tuner *IF* I use the binary tools provided
>by the STB maker for setting input from the tuner.  I can set the volume
>by using "amixer" to set the master and *video* volumes to unmuted (note
>that audio is not coming from LineIn - its coming from Video instead).
>I have X running on both the VGA and TV out with the server configured
>with Xvideo and V4l, and can even play a hardware decoded VOB via
>MythTV.  But I can't watch TV via MythTV.  I can view one channel with
>XawTV - I have to change channels using another binary tool provided by
>the STB maker.  XawTV just provides the display space using XVideo (I
>think).  I used cscope to verify that MythTV wants to do everything via
>V4l and not directly through XVideo, so I'm not sure if (even with the
>v4l module loaded) MythTV will work with this setup or not.
>
>The software provided by the STB maker includes Alsa drivers, the Via
>display driver (ie a Trident CyberBlade/i1 driver), and the Sigma
>Designs software for the EM8470.  What I don't have source for - and
>what I don't know how to integrate into MythTV - is the TV tuner stuff.
>All I get is black screen when I try to watch TV, possibly because audio
>is not playing either.  I tried the trick with "aplay" to verify sound
>was coming from /dev/dsp - its not.  Its coming from whatever Alsa
>thinks "Video" is (/dev/video0?).
>
>I'm open to suggestions on how to integrate use of these binary tools
>into MythTV, at least until I can figure out how to circumvent them with
>real code.  Would the 7114 be supported by ivtv?  It doesn't say so
>specifically, but does mention the 7115.  It also doesn't mention any
>kind of configuraiton like what I have.
>
>It seems like all the pieces are there.  I just have to figure out how
>to tell MythTV where exactly to look for those pieces.

If you just need to switch channels with the external tuner program,
MythTV has support for that.  It's somewhere in the configuration menus
and it's intended for people who have a cable/satellite box.  You might
have to write a simple shell script that takes the channel number as the
argument and runs the binary program with the right option to switch
channels.