[mythtv-users] Getting Started with MythTV

Robert Empfield oldwizeman85 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 7 19:14:29 EDT 2003

Thanks Isaac and to everyone else on their input to my questions.

I'm am going to try install MythTV tomorrow and see what happens.  Although
I do not have a TV capture card or what that type of card is, I want to see
if I can get the program installed or not and how some of the other features
work.   You all will probably see more of me and my questions, so prepare!
:)

Afterwards, however, I'll have to decide on a video capture card.  Now, here
is a question that just popped into my head.  I have been looking at the
Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250 and the WinTV PVR 350 (
http://www.hauppauge.com/html/products.htm#pvr ).  The two are basically the
same except that the PVR 350 has both a hardware MPEG2 Encoder and Decoder
and an FM radio stereo.  Would this one be better on a slower (slower
compare to a computer running above 1 GHz) computer?  Would I be able to
still use the how-to guide by Jarod Wilson entitled "Step-by-step guide to
building a MythTV box under Red Hat Linux 9 with a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250",
seeing how the two cards are so similar?  And what about the FM radio
stereo?  Does it work with MythTV?  I have not seen anything mentioned
anywhere in MythTV docs about its support or how it one could access it from
the MythTV menus.

Hope you all have fun with this set of fun-filled questions.  I would also
like to say one thing, before the end of this reply.  Right now, I fill kind
of bad about asking all these questions and not helping anyone else.  In
case anyone is upset by people who are doing what I am doing (asking but not
helping), I would like to say that once I get started, which will probably
be tomorrow, I would like to take part in answering questions when I can.

Ok, now that that's said, I feel better.  Have fun!  :)

Thanks again.
Robert